Vocal training should be part of every teacher’s education. Through my teaching career I have developed a passion for giving teachers the knowledge they need to Protect and Project their voices. Luckily, before entering teaching, I received vocal training as part of my acting degree. This was my saving grace because the courses required for a teaching degree did not address teacher’s vocal maintenance.
Name another career that requires such arduous use of the voice…
Actors who go through training complete many modules on vocal training to allow them to deliver their voices with confidence to a large audience often with character changes thrown in. Vocal training isn’t just important for actors though. It should be par for the course of a teaching degree, but it isn’t.
My teaching experience has lead me to develop this easy to complete, 6-week course with all the resources you will need to strengthen and protect your voice. These resources include written and video materials to teach you the exercises, posters, and recordings, to make doing them easy, and email contact to gain clarity on any part that you might need. There is also the opportunity to book a zoom call to allow you to gain further clarity or receive extension exercises if you wish.
Globally, the teaching profession has the highest rate of vocal dysfunction , , , . Vocal damage, which can lead to Vocal Dysphony can also have an impact on student’s ability to process information given to them . Too many wait until they have damage to get help. Both short-term and long-term damage can be avoided by proper vocal training. (example)
This easy course, over 6 weeks, can help you prevent vocal damage and create and keep a strong voice throughout your career. (by helping you create and keep a strong voice….)
You need this information, you might not even realise it yet, but at some point in your career your voice could cause you short-term or long-term issues unless you look after it. (You may not realise the impact daily teaching can have on your voice until it is too late. Ineffective projection can result in shot and long term issues. I am here to provide you with the knowledge to avoid this damage)
The course covers (offers) explanations, exercises and downloadable resources(print and recorded) in:
- Vocal Production
- Vocal Protection
- Vocal Projection
All of this is easily valued at $297… but available to you for only $99! Think what it would cost you if you had to fix your vocal issues in the future – or had to stop teaching because of them. $99 for ongoing access to the course content, and you can tax deduct the cost… This is very low cost insurance. You take the course at your own pace, at times that suit you. I am available by email to answer any of your questions. If your question is complex, or you would like to discuss the topics further – or receive extension exercises, you can book a one-on-one Zoom calls – details within the course as to how to book a time.
Have a look at the full curriculum list on the tab above for details of the course content. Note – there are some free trial options.
In Australia this course is accepted by the Teacher Registration Board in your state under the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers covering standards in areas 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7. Therefore, in Australia the cost of this course is tax deductible for teachers as a part of their professional development. You will receive a certificate of completion at the end of the course as proof you can provide to the department.
Some feedback from the Course:
“What a difference! Now I know what I’ve been doing wrong all these years and how to fix it. Thank you!” PB
“The course was fantastic and I would highly recommend it to anyone. I use it religiously every day now and it is well and truly part of my routine. I am so grateful for it. Thank you.” LT
“Voice – The mechanics of how the sound is produced is helpful information for me as a teacher.” TB
“I really appreciate the way we learnt some new techniques, I hope I can implement these in my teaching” SR
“This was great, Thanks Natalie – we need more and earlier in our careers. Exceptional.” JF
“Many thanks Natalie. I will practice the exercises now I know what to do.” JH
“Really clear and precise info.” BM
“Very pleasant thank you. Worksheets very clear.” NG
“It was really good to develop the awareness of how to do the exercises and the purpose of them.” KW
Above are tabs for Course Creator Information, Course Contents and Course Curriculum.
Please note: A student rate is available, please find more information at https://www.natalieblank.com.au/student-rates/
- Roy, Nelson. (2011). Voice Disorders in Teachers. Perspectives on Voice and Voice Disorders. 21. 71. 10.1044/vvd21.2.71. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/270859774_Voice_Disorders_in_Teachers
- Byeon H. The Risk Factors Related to Voice Disorder in Teachers: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2019;16(19):3675. Published 2019 Sep 30. doi:10.3390/ijerph16193675. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6801660/
- Szymanowski, Adam R.; Borst, Katherine Streitel; Sataloff, Robert T. 2014 Voice disorders in teachers: examining the problem and evaluating prevention. The Free Library (November, 1), https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Voice disorders in teachers: examining the problem and evaluating…-a0405878505 (accessed November 22 2021)
- Majeed NA, Haneefa H. An Evaluation of Dysphonia among Teachers. Int J Sci Stud 2017;5(8):101-109 https://www.ijss-sn.com/uploads/2/0/1/5/20153321/ijss_nov_oa21_-_2017.pdf
- Rogerson, Jemma & Dodd, Barbara. (2005). Is There an Effect of Dysphonic Teachers’ Voices on Children’s Processing of Spoken Language?. Journal of voice : official journal of the Voice Foundation. 19. 47-60. 10.1016/j.jvoice.2004.02.007. https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7967487_Is_There_an_Effect_of_Dysphonic_Teachers%27_Voices_on_Children%27s_Processing_of_Spoken_Language
Introduction to Voice for Teachers
Module 1 - Breathing for Voice
Module 2 - Voice Production - How is your voice created?
Module 3 - Diction - Lets get some Clarity
Video Call Check In Available
Module 4 - Expression - It's all in the Tone
Module 5 - Protection - Looking after your voice
Module 6 - Projection - So you want to be Heard
Extension Opportunity Available